Saturday, October 07, 2006

Don't wait to pick your pumpkins!

They've been talking about how the pumpkin crop around the area is pretty bad this year so I was glad that I picked up some Pie pumpkins when I saw them at the market a couple weeks ago. This way I could make and freeze some mashed pumpkin to use this season like we did last year. I wanted to do something different and fun for breakfast this morning, so I surprised Jeff with a batch of Pumpkin Waffles!

It has been such a long time since we've made waffles that I had to search around to find the waffle iron this morning. The dry ingredients are spiced up with Vietnamese cinnamon and ground cloves which compliment the subtle pumpkin flavor. Using dark brown sugar gave them a richer depth of flavor without making them overly sweet. When we were eating the golden waffles, I kept thinking that these would be even better with bits of crystallized ginger in them. Toasted pecans or walnuts in the batter might be a worth a try too! The waffles are light, but they don't stay too crispy. If you prefer yours more on the crunchy side - I would make them ahead of time and use a toaster oven when it's time to re-heat them.

6 comments:

  1. Joe,
    This is actually a really good idea. I had never thought of using pumpkin mash in a waffle batter before. We don't have a waffle iron, but I would like to try a pancake variation to surprise Eric. It is a nice holiday treat without being too cheesy. All going well, when we move to New Zealand, we can pretend we're in the U.S. with these fall delights. The current issue of "Martha Stewart Living" has some good pumpkin recipes, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH JOE! You've really outdone yourself this time. What a great Fallish recipe. And I think I might just have to take your suggestion of adding in the crystallized ginger. How much do you think? About a tablespoon?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where's the butter and syrup???

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hadn't thought of freezing my own pumpkin puree but what a great idea. I was just lamenting the fact that we only have pumpkin dishes in the fall, but I'd like them other times too.
    Your recipe for waffles makes me pine away for my waffle maker, may it rest in peace, (fire got the best of it...).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm.. In our area (the Los Angeles area), it's amusing to watch just how many pumpkins end up being thrown out -- many of the corner vendors selling pumpkins over buy and they end up with a pile of ~50 or more pumpkins to get rid of -- we used to (when i was a kid) occasionally go to one of these places after holloween and get several pumpkins for FREE since they were going to be tossed out anyway.. YMMV!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shaun - I'll have to see if I can find the magazine - I love pumpkin stuff!

    Ed - I would probably start at one and then see how it tastes!

    Wheresmymind - that came later!

    Brilynn - It works pretty well - I always like knowing there is some in the freezer!

    Anon - Can't go wrong with free pumpkins!

    ReplyDelete